Thursday, March 8, 2012

OH MADAME, DIR RICHT AWER GUDD! (Scent of a woman ..)

“A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future.” 
Coco Chanel

My name is MG and I am a perfume lover. I started wearing perfume at the age of five when I sneaked into my Grandma’s bedroom and proceeded to literally “bathe” in 4711, a refreshing old-world cologne. When questioned, I vigorously denied the obvious. It became a ritual for me (the splashing of cologne not the lying) which was graciously tolerated by my beloved Boma. 

Stock photo
My taste in perfume has evolved through the years and I still do not leave the house without a bottle in my purse or luggage (a smaller bottle these days due to the stringent travel regulations and restrictions). I ardently follow news about imminent releases and launches and eagerly test them but of all things I have a peculiar fondness for the classics. I like full bodied oriental fragrances with rich aromas. Musk, leather, sandalwood, frankincense and patchouli are among my favorite accords. My constants are Shalimar (the original not the re-issue) and Bois d’Armenie by Guerlain while Tabac Blond by Caron, Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens and others are rotated depending on mood and season.

I wear scents that suit my taste and happily cross the perfume gender divide. My latest obsession is the intricate and compelling Bel Ami by Hermes (again not the re-issue but the original).

On a related side note, J’adore by Dior was the best selling perfume in France (according to the NPD Group) in 2011. It surpassed for the second year in a row the grande dame of perfume sales, the iconic Chanel No 5

There are so many incredible scents on the market and hundreds more are released every year. We all have our idiosyncratic list of favorites but when it comes to personal style there is no “right” or “wrong”. My Grandma would certainly agree.


Picture courtesy of dior.com

Please click on the links for additional information. 



No comments:

Post a Comment